I pride myself in not giving a “Band-Aid” treatment to my patients. Band-Aids, in the form of pharmaceutical drugs, are often used as a cover up in the Western medical arena for an underlying health problem. As acupuncturists, we are taught to search out which imbalances are causing symptomatology to occur. I want to share a secret with you. Last week, I became convinced that Band-Aid treatments may benefit my patients…
A patient presented in my office on December 31st with a graph that looked like this.
Let’s analyze the graph for a moment. What do you see?
- An obvious belt block. The channels in the lower body are in extreme excess compared to the upper body.
Now let’s look at the graph from a different perspective.
Here is the same information listed according to element pairs instead of hand channels versus foot channels as seen above.
- Metal element: The Lung and the Large Intestine are out of balance.
- Minister fire: Pericardium and the Triple Energizer are both out of balance.
- Earth element: Both the Spleen and Stomach are excess.
- Wood element: Both of the Liver and Gallbladder are excess.
Just by looking at the graph you can come up with some helpful information about this patient without me even telling you his chief complaint.
- Belt block:Pain in the lower body.
- Lung and Large Intestine are out of balance:Low immunity, lacking in wei qi.
- Spleen and Stomach are excess: A lot of bad food choices? Problems with digestion? Notice that the date of treatment was December 31st. He was just finishing up a couple of weeks worth of holiday eating.
- Liver and Gallbladder excess:Pain, headaches, and irritability.
- Bladder channel split–with excess energy on the right versus the left:Back pain which is worse on the right.
I am sure that by now you want to know what his chief complaint was.
He was surprised when I asked him questions about my graph analysis. Everything that I saw on the graph fit what was going on in his life at the time. He really didn’t care about the rest of his symptoms at that moment because he was in so much pain. I treated him by balancing the graph and then doing a typical sciatica treatment.
Now, I will explain how my Band-Aid treatment came to exist. How do you treat sciatica, digestion problems, and irritability with Band-Aids? Watch this video and I’ll explain…
I’ll never underestimate the power of a Band-Aid in future treatments. When this patient came back a week later, his sciatica was doing much better and so were his other symptoms. I now have several boxes of Band-Aids at my clinic. You might want some too!
Have a great week everyone!
Kimberly Thompson, L.Ac.
Acupuncture Research Analyst
Miridia Technology Inc.