AcuMom goes to College 5/5 (39)

Adults back to collegeMother of 9 goes to college!

What does this mean, really?

It means that even though you are taking 18-28 units per semester, you’re still in charge of laundry, errands and making lunches. Your kids don’t really care if you have a term paper to write or an exam in the morning. They don’t care that EVERY SINGLE tiny INTERRUPTION–messes up your entire thinking process!

It takes a lot of creativity to get through acupuncture college when you have a bunch of kids. I learned that studying early in the morning and late at night were often my best options. I always had flashcards with me when carting my kids from activity to activity–looking for any bit of free study time I could find. Admittedly, as time progressed, I even learned how to study right in the midst of the chaos by simply ignoring my children. (Terrible, I know…)

But–I must say I have REALLY smart kids! They learned how to work the system.

Every mother stops what she’s doing when her kids come and tell her they aren’t feeling well! My kids learned they could EASILY get my attention by telling me they had a stomach ache or diarrhea.

Remember, I told you I had to get creative?

I learned how to be smarter than my kids.

photo 1photo 3X’s and O’s were my solutions. Let me explain…

I’d open up my textbooks and look for point treatment protocols that would solve their problems.

Then I’d use my permanent marker to put X’s on every acupuncture point they needed and respond with: “I love you. Now, please go to your room and push on your X’s!”

It was win/win for everyone. The kids were happy and I could get back to my studies.

Eight years later…

photo 2Things haven’t changed much at my house. I’m still a busy mom–running my clinic and working for Miridia Technology. I still get up early and stay up late. I’m still in charge of laundry, errands, and lunches. I have constant article, blog and presentation deadlines. AND–my kids still come bug me when they aren’t feeling well.

The big difference is–now I use AcuGraph.

It’s really simple. A quick two minute exam tells me where their imbalances are. I still pull out my permanent marker, but now I put O’s on them instead. After doing AcuGraph and finding the points that need treatment, I circle the points and send my kids to their room with a Laser or a Stimplus to treat their own points. (I use O’s so my kids can hit the center of the target point, AND so the ink won’t impede laser penetration.)

Kids who come in my clinic love AcuGraph too. Studies have shown that balancing the graph alone will take care of 80% of a patient’s symptoms. The other 20%? Most of the time, I resolve those problems with a little attention, snacks, and TLC.

Do you have kids? Or are you treating ANY kids in your clinic? I just released a new training video entitled Acupuncture Technology and Kids. You really need to check it out!

Having the right tools to treat kids is priceless. I guarantee it’ll be worth your investment.

I love being a MOM, I love AcuGraph and I love my job!

XOXOXO!

 

Kimberly Thompson, L.Ac.

Acupuncture Research Analyst

Miridia Technology

Please rate this

Comments

comments

Dr. Kimberly Thompson, DACM, L.Ac.

Dr. Kimberly Thompson, DACM, L.Ac. is a US licensed acupuncturist in the state of Idaho and certified in the treatment of acupuncture, Oriental medicine and Chinese herbology by the National Certification Commission of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM). Kimberly wears multiple hats in the acupuncture community. She owns her private clinic, Meridian Family Acupuncture. She has spent the last 10 years working for Miridia Technology as an acupuncture Research Analyst–where she helps plan, develop, and integrate modern diagnostic and treatment tools for the ever-evolving scientific world of acupuncture. Kimberly is a world-renown teacher, blogger, columnist, and mentor in the acupuncture community.

2 Replies to “AcuMom goes to College

So, what do you think about it?