It’s allergy season–or at least it is here in Idaho where we’ve been enjoying an early Spring. And even though major portions of the United States are still under snow, allergy season will be hitting there soon as well.
My first reminder came when my daughter told me she thought she was having allergy symptoms. “Oh really?” I asked. “What’s wrong?”
Her reply, “My throat is sore and my ears are itching on the inside.” Hmmm. Itching ears “on the inside.” Yep, sounds like allergies to me.
So what do you do for allergies in your office? There are a number of nutritional, pharmaceutical, and natural approaches. Perhaps you’re already using acupuncture to help your allergy patients. But today, in honor of my daughter’s “itchy ears” I want to focus on Auriculotherapy.
I love auriculotherapy for a number of reasons:
- It’s easy to apply
- Results are fast and often powerful
- There are no worrisome side effects
- It can be used in conjunction with other treatments
- It’s the perfect adjunct to acupuncture treatment
So let’s talk about how to do it right. Here’s the auricular allergy protocol from Auriculo 360. Let me break it down for you. (Click the picture if you need it larger.)
Start with the patient’s dominant ear. If the patient is right-handed, use the right ear for the first treatment, and alternate ears for each subsequent treatment.
When you look at the chart, you’ll notice there are several different kinds of points. Here’s how to proceed.
- FIRST, treat the master points. These are noted in ALL CAPITAL letters. (Point Zero, Shen Men, Endocrine, Sympathetic Autonomic Point, Allergy Point.) My favorite way to treat is with the Stimplus Pro, for 15 seconds per point.
- SECOND, treat the other colored points if they are active. “Colored” means they are denoted by a blue dot or green triangle. “Active” means the point exhibits increased electrical conductance. The easiest way to find out which points are active is to test each point with the Stimplus Pro. The points that have a higher reading than the surrounding skin need to be treated.
- THIRD, scan the Allergic Area shown in pink with the Stimplus Pro and treat any active points in that area.
- FINALLY, you can optionally treat the points denoted by white dots, but only if they’re active.
- HOME CARE: I like to apply ear seeds to the most active points with instructions for the patient to leave them on for 2-3 days, and press on the seeds several times each day. This continues care and enhances results.
Sounds simple enough, right?
Where are they?
Now for the big question. “So what’s with the green triangles, anyway? Where are the points actually located?”
I’m glad you asked because this is where Auriculo 360 really shines. Ears are three dimensional, and flat pictures are sometimes flat confusing. That’s why we made Auriculo 360 in the first place–to help you visualize EXACTLY where the points are. Here’s a short video I made to show you the points in 3D so you can precisely locate them.
Click here and see the StimPlus Pro in Action!